Choosing the perfect outfit for your photo shoot can sometimes feel a little bit stressful. I know you want to look amazing. If you know what you’re doing, pulling the right outfits together can be easy and fun!
Here are a few rules I tell my clients:
– Co-ordinate but don’t match ~ Long gone are the days of everyone wearing a white shirt and matching. Instead, pick a couple of colors and choose clothes that will fit in this color scheme.
– Don’t forget accessories ~ Accessories not only add to your outfit but they can be fun to use in photos. Have the man wear a tie for the woman to hold. Necklaces for the kids to play with or hats to hide behind.
– Limit patterns ~ I’m a fan of Mom and Dad in solid neutrals and kids in colours/patterns but you can play with this idea and make it your own.
– Textures & layers are your friend ~ In photographs I like to add textures like scarves, vests or belts to add a little more depth and interest to the image.
– Say no to characters & Logos ~ Yes, your little one may love their Minions shirt but you may want to skip it for the family photo session.
– Avoid all white or all black clothing ~ Solid black or white shirts don’t tend to photograph well. Try a soft cream or charcoal grey instead.
– Think classic ~ These photos will be hanging on your walls and treasured for years to come. Think about where you’re using the photographs, and what you want them to say about you.
The most important thing you can do is to dress in clothes that make you feel great, and that you can to move around in comfortably. I always just say wear what feels good and is authentically you, and then just kick it up a notch! Layered textures, soft neutrals with a pop of color, and amazing shoes are always a great choice.
For more inspiration, please pop over to my Pinterest boards: